COMPENSATION: Negotiable and commensurate with experience.
The Development Director will be engaged as a part-time consultant; contract will be for a period of three to six months and may be renewed. The Consultant has primary responsibility for securing sufficient funds to realize the Board’s goals and objectives both capital and programmatic.
The success of Skylight’s reputation and ultimate ability to achieve its vision of “sustainability” rests on the cultivation of branding, donors, donor trust, confidentiality, and effective communications. This position requires creativity and innovation and a close working relationship with the Executive Director and Board of Directors. Due to the nature of the work, some evenings and weekends will be required. Consultant’s success will be based on ability to execute their responsibilities, ability to work as part of a team, and achieve financial goals.
Summary of Responsibilities
Planning: Develop a Fundraising Campaign Plan
- As a consultant provide a scope of work, and determine the structure of the campaign that will meet Skylight’s annual fundraising goal.
- Plan to include strategies for soliciting current and past donors, and identifying and acquiring new individual, corporate, foundation and government support.
- Campaign timetable and targeted campaign messaging to be included with the Plan.
- Identify prospects for major gifts, underwriting and sponsorship opportunities within Skylight’s current donors and patrons, as well as new prospects.
- Determine appropriate asking strategies and donation amounts. When applicable, prepare Skylight’s leadership to carry out major gift strategies.
- Develop and manage recognition and credit for major gifts.
- Design cultivation activities that engage and involve donors so that they develop a sense of ownership of Skylight and its mission.
- Ensure that donor data is correctly input into database; make recommendations for database changes
- Create solicitation strategies for annual fund gifts, including mail, e-mail, and on-site solicitations (for example: show programs, lobby signage).
- Develop membership gift levels and benefits.
- Draft solicitation letters and create Annual Fund collateral
- Create and maintains events calendar.
- Plans, schedules and executes individual events in conjunction with key volunteers, staff, and when appropriate, coordinates with show producers/staff
- Solicits in-kind goods and services as needed.
- Schedules and documents post event de-briefings
Foundation, Corporate and Government Support:
- Identify foundation, corporate and government funding prospects.
- Create submission deadline calendar and solicitation strategy
- Write key organizational message points for use in grant proposals.
- Oversee grant writer; ensure that grant writer meets application deadlines and that grant proposals are accurate, professional and reflect excellence.
Reporting to the Executive Direction, additional duties may be assigned as they relate to the Development Director’s work.