Get Schedule At-A-Glance 

labworks 2015 title box FAULT LINES

staged reading

written by Felix Racelis
directed by Bennet Cohon

Josh, a single gay Asian man, lives in a fabulous rent-controlled San Francisco apartment.  But Josh’s well ordered existence is rocked after encountering museum enthusiast Victor, an attractive gay Latino – from LA.  Can civic pride, HIV and 400 miles separate two men who are otherwise a great match?

Cast in Alphabetical Order:
Matt Austin, Lucas Alifano, Edward Hong, Hettie Lynne Hurtes, Damian Kerr

Skylight Theatre / SkyLab

5 QUESTIONS FOR WRITER, Felix Racelis

1. What inspired you to become a writer?Felix Racelis, Fault Lines writer - LAb WORKS 2015

I caught the theater bug when I volunteered to handle publicity for the Asian American Theater Company in San Francisco. I was thrilled to be involved with a company whose mission was focused on the Asian American experience. But it was years later before I began to write plays, as a member of the David Henry Hwang Writers Institute at East West Players.  

2. What's the one piece of advice that you were given that's really stuck with you?

One of my teachers had each student sign a contract agreeing that s/he would never write a scene that did not contain an element of conflict. I can’t say I’ve been 100% compliant, but it’s in the back of my head as a goal.

3. What's your favorite thing about writing for the theater?

I think it’s the living nature of the experience that’s so captivating, along with the possibility of discovery. Although the text is static, each performance is different.   Hearing an actor deliver a line in a certain manner that elicits an unexpected emotion or layer of meaning is always exhilarating. There’s a cathartic aspect, too.   A few of my more engaging characters are inspired by past employers and annoying co-workers who have no idea they’re being skewered.

4. What's the best play you've seen in the last year (and where)?

Jonathan Tolins’ Buyer and Cellar, performed by Michael Urie, at the Mark Taper Forum. The image of Barbra Streisand wandering in her private underground shopping mall haunts me to this day. If you’d allow a National Theatre Live HD broadcast, then I might say Behind the Beautiful Forevers by David Hare, based on the book by Katherine Boo.

5. Where's your favorite place to go in L.A?

Not fair – there are too many, but if I had to choose one, I’d say Echo Park Lake. My spouse and I walk our dogs there, and to me it’s LA at its best.

LAb WORKS is a festival of new plays by our resident PLAYlab writers performed as workshop productions and as readings in our 'black box' theatre. These are truly new plays; each year the PLAYlab writers begin and complete a new play from scratch. 

Join the creator IN-Konversation immediately following. This moderator assisted chat allows the writer to immediately solicit audience feedback to further advance their project. It's a unique opportunity for the writer to ask pointed questions about what works and what doesn't.

INKubator is our development program and includes:
    ▪    Play Reading Series, works from across the greater Los Angeles area
    ▪    PlayLab, invitation only professional play writing laboratory
    ▪    LAb Works, annual festival of new plays from the PlayLab writers
    ▪    INK Works, extended workshop series
    ▪    SOLOmojo, solo performance intensive
    ▪    unAUTHORized, writing workshop for 18-28 year olds
    ▪    The Lyric Project, teen lyric writing workshops taught in LA high schools and detention centers culminating in a Concert of new songs