The Kings Face
new play reading
Monday, January 30th 7:00pm
SKYLIGHT THEATRE: 1816 1/2 N. Vermont Ave, Los Angeles 90027
Winner of FutureFest and South West Playwriting Competitions, the play is a full length, two character drama loosely based on the true story of a wounded warrior set in England during the time of Henry IV.
IN-Konversation talk with the writer follows immediately after to help develop the work further.
Synopsis: At the battle of Shrewsbury, King Henry IV secures his crown, only to have his son and heir, the future King Henry V, struck down by an arrow to the face. The wound festers and as a last resort, counterfeiter and surgeon, Jonathon Bradmore, is released from prison and ordered to heal the Prince. Bradmore must save the Prince’s life to save his own.
WRITER, Steven Young: His work has received numerous awards and been produced internationally in London, Brighton, Edinburgh, Kent, Manchester and Montreal. In the US his plays have been performed in such cities as New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Dallas and New Orleans. His latest play Obscenity was selected for the MATC Plays In Progress Development Workshop. Steven is an Assistant Professor of Acting and Directing at Texas Woman’s University.
DIRECTOR, Elizabeth Swain: Is an actor, director and teacher. She directed The Malcontent and several Classicsfest productions for Antaeus:Medea,The Lucky Chance,Our Country’s Good,King John and The Master Builder. For Cal State Long Beach,A Midsummer Night’s Dream and Macbeth, also for NY State Theatre, Hamlet for TWAS Theatre NYC, Master Harold and the Boys Cape May Playhouse Other favorite productions: Camille, The Rover and several other Restoration plays. As an actor she has appeared in several Broadway and Off Broadway productions, regional theatres and tours. And many soaps.
INKubator Artist and Play Development Program includes:
- INK Play Reading Series, new plays from across the greater Los Angeles area
- PlayLAb, invitation only professional play writing laboratory
- LAb WORKS, festival of new plays from the PlayLab writers
- INK Works, extended workshop series
- SOLOmojo, solo performance intensive
- Take 8, adult writing workshop
- unAUTHORized, writing workshop for young adults 18-28
- UNDERground, a unique theatrical mentoring program for young adults
- LYRIC PROJECT, a unique creative experience for high school age teens